LOVE IS IN THE DETAILS
SCRAPBOOKING. CARDMAKING. PAPERCRAFTING

fairy light

Happy Sunday everyone!

I know it won’t surprise anyone when I show you how or what I recycled this week, especially if you follow me on my Instagram account tottle.artsy you got a sneak peek. Today is part one of this project, I couldn’t wait to share it so you’ll get to see it in bits 🙂

All three of these items you see here, the lace, the cork fabric (yes is said cork fabric!), and this switch plate, were the start of my project! Why do I have an extra switch plate….we painted and the plates & switches need replacing because the colours don’t match. Also you can see this one got something on it that stained it.

Here you have it a fun little mini fairy book! Because really if we’re going to work with fairies it has to be mini!

The green part on the cover is the switch plate. I primed it with gesso then used a Tim Holtz stencil and some modeling paste to add the texture. Once the paste was dry I sprayed it with some green mist. Totally transformed and perfect background for my little fairy!

To frame the switch plate I used the Tim Holtz Plank die and 3D Lumber texture fade. To accentuate the woodgrain I used some Distress Ink directly on the texture fade before running it through….the ink gets deep into all those crevices!

The base of the front and back cover is chipboard, but I used the cork fabric to create the spine of my book. I think the natural look of the cork is just perfect for my little fairy, but it’s also a very durable option to use for a book spine! To bind the pages into the book I used a simple 3 hole pamphlet stitch.

I adore this new lace….but it’s quite large and I didn’t really want to cut it up, so I sewed it onto one of the pages before I bound the book, which makes for two pages that have this beautiful lace. I left the top open only sewing on the sides and bottom so it’s actually a fun pocket too. Maybe more fairies will find a way to hide inside it.

When I build my books I really love creating them with different size pages, or things poking out, to me it adds more interest and mystery that just makes you want to open it and explore the inside.

Again before I bound the book together I added bits of fabric, ribbon, etc. on the edges of a few pages. Isn’t it sew (pun intended) fun to see all those little pieces?!

I highly recommend doing this step before you put the book together unless you plan to hand sew those things on.

I’ve barely started an already I want to flip the pages and feel all the textures. For the pages I used mostly some tea stained papers. Actually they were stained with a red tea and the ink for the lines bled a bit causing the pages to come out this really pretty shade of purple! For added bit of interest I added some pages from a vintage ‘learn to type’ book and a vintage cheque.

Hope you’ve enjoyed part one of this project and are patiently (or not patiently) waiting for the next part!

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *