…are my favorite flowers. As well as Sweet Peas. And Peonies. Mostly Sweet Peas though. But also Hollyhocks.
So I was delighted to see the Impression Obsession Hollyhock die set in the store when I last visited Winkler! I’ll admit though, I had a moment of wondering what the point of dies alone was? Like. Where were the coordinating stamps?? Turns out, there isn’t any that match. And there doesn’t need to be any either. I cut these from watercolor paper and just watercolor painted them. It was so easy! If you can hold a paint brush, you can color these hollyhock dies!
To make this card, I ran the two stalks of Hollyhock dies through my die cutting machine with some watercolor paper. I made sure that the dies were positioned where I would want them to be on a finished card front. But when I finished die cutting them, I left them in place in the card panel, securing them with some tape on the back, and just painted some loose circles on each bloom. I let the flowers dry then added some pale (watered down paint) color to the background behind the inset blooms. I mostly left those flowers alone after that because they’re in the background and any more detail or color would be distracting and unnecessary.
Next, I cut more of the individual Hollyhock stems, also from watercolor paper, and painted them. I let the first layer of color almost dry, then came back with more intense color and painted around the flower centers and most of the time the additional paint blended out into the first layer of color, but where it didn’t, I didn’t worry about it. Hollyhocks are an imperfect flower, I think. While the painted die-cuts were drying, I loaded my paint brush with more water and paint and flicked color onto the card background in splatters.
I wanted the stalks to stand out from the background flowers so I layered the double stalk with two more die cut layers behind it, and the single stalk with a single additional layer of card stock behind it. Before adhering those flowers to the card panel, I stamped the Thinking of You sentiment, from PhotoPlay. Because I was stamping onto watercolor paper, which is textured, I used my MISTI so I could stamp multiple times and know that it would be perfectly positioned every single time!
Finally, I glued the two stalks to the card front, and a few of the single blooms as well, to create another stalk in the background. Once that was done, I decided to stop there before I over-did it, as I am sometimes wont to do. I glued the card panel to a folded A2 sized card and added it to my growing card stash!
Thanks for stopping by today. If you have any questions, please leave them in the comments and I’ll get back to you!
Have a wonderful day!