Two+ years ago we had a party. And what a party it was! A bridal shower for my Daughter-in-law-to-be! As I gathered decor, props and supplies, I came to realize THIS was the party I was BORN TO THROW!! No detail was too small, no effort too great. So obviously, it needed an album all it’s own to document the day. Not long after, I came upon a very worn out, children’s book that I thought would be the perfect backdrop for an altered book album.
I started by tearing out half the pages in the book. If you look closely at the spine of a bound book you’ll see all these “sections” called signatures. I removed the center 4 pages of each signature and then glued every two pages together to reinforce them. And then sewed up the front edge of each page. That was more for aesthetics than function. Then, armed with Gesso, white, grey, pink, yellow, blue and green paints, I lightly painted over the front and back covers and each inside page.
Then, I gathered up ALL the pretty bits and bobs, paper and embellishments, labels and stickers, that fit within my pastel and feminine color palette and began to assemble the pages. Here we go.
(As I began posting these (very. many.) photos, I came to realize that this blogger program limits the number of photos per post. So please continue to scroll down past this post for a “part 2” post.)
In 3 places throughout the book, I cut a piece of vellum the same size as the pages of the book and with a fine bead of white glue, adhered the vellum page into the spine of the book. For this page, I first typed out my journaling and ran it through the sewing machine before gluing it in.
Here is the 2nd instance of inserting a vellum page. This time I used a circle cut file to cut out the page with my Silhouette machine, and made sure there were elements peeking through the holes on both pages it lay against.
Remember to keep scrolling….there’s more!