Practice session

Hello everyone, I’m back today with a couple of cards I made using the Tim Holtz Alterations Alphanumeric dies!  I actually have bigger plans for them, but you can’t jump into the ultimate project without practicing first.  So these cards are sort of that.  The practice session.  I don’t see this set of dies listed in the store or the forum, but I do see his new set from CHA 2015, they are right HERE in the store.  If you’re interested in the set I used, let Lori know and she’ll fix you up!

I also got to use the Tim Holtz Idea-ology Wallflower vellum pack.  So lets jump right in!


These dies are approximately 3/4″ tall and all uppercase.  There are 125 dies in the package which gives you many multiples of the more commonly used letters, and one each of the numbers and punctuation.  The advantage of this is the ability to die cut whole phrases or sentences where a letter is needed more than once, not to mention die cutting custom phrases you don’t find mass packaged in stores!


I cut a piece of the vellum to a standard card size, and selected the dies that spelled out my greeting.


Once I was happy with placement and had used a ruler to line up the letters, I taped them down with some washi tape.  Next, I ran it through the Big Shot with a chipboard shim to make up for the thinness of the vellum.  When I pulled off the tape and dies, the letters popped right out!  I adhered the vellum only at the top of the top folding card base and tied on the gold twist string for a really simple embellishment.  With vellum this busy, and the sentiment right out on the front, I didn’t want to risk making it TOO busy.


And naturally, we don’t want to let anything go to waste, so I also used the positives of the die cut greeting to create a 2nd card.  I just happened to have, sitting in front of me on my table, a roll of MT Washi that VERY closely matched the vellum.  I laid a strip of that floral washi and accented it with some narrow chevron washi, stitched over the letters, added a die cut leaf accent and made that be enough.



This set of alphabet dies is going to be a lot of fun, I can already tell.  I hope to get started soon on the bigger project I was mentioning earlier, that will really put them to use!

Thanks for stopping by today!

0 thoughts on “Practice session

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *